Tuesday 5 April, 2011

Ok, so in my last post, I ruminated about how fashions change and can change you with them. Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't have your own fashion identity - I have nothing but love for icons like Audrey Hepburn who have a classic style all through their life - but I think the key is to keep classic pieces that are your own style and change up other elements according to the times.

The simple handbag is one such example. Remember when we were lugging those mammoth things around? I never really needed to pack anything for overnight trips - I always had everything I wanted right there. 

But right now, it's the humble little messenger bag that's got me hooked. Last year I splurged on this hot pink little number by Madewell - a brand that I loved before Alexa Chung decided to endorse it by designing a line for it. But earlier this year, I began to wonder why I had bought it. It's a colour that doesn't "go" with anything. And it's so small it can barely hold my phone, keys, lipstick and wallet.

Anyway, so the other day, I decided to do a completely monochromatic outfit for an outing with a friend. Grey sweat Asos top with sheer black netting above a sweetheart neckline and my favourite high waisted cropped pants in black denim with black leather pointed ankle boots also from Asos. And as I had done so many times before with countless outfits, I grabbed the hot pink bag and posed in front of my full length mirror wearing it across the body. 

Voila! It had completely transformed my black and grey outfit. I was in love again, so much so that I actually made do all evening with just those four things in my bag. Plus, the freedom a messenger bag gives your arms is amazing because even though you're carrying your large bag over your shoulder, you always require one hand to steady it. Am I right?


Madewell Crossbody Messenger bag in Hot Pink

I lovvve the flamboyance of the colour with the silver hardware.

No comments:

Post a Comment